Production is considered the most important phase of the development of a video game, when its main elements are produced. The role of the producer is crucial, as is the case in some of the related industries, such as film production or digital product development. Of course, there are certain differences, as well as similarities with the fields of action of project managers or “product owners”.
A video game producer manages a team or parts of a team working on a game, and has an executive role during each development phase, with the goal of ensuring quality and meeting deadlines by colleagues working on the project. The producer is the one who ensures that production runs according to plan, while this role has its own specifics in relation to whether it takes place in a studio working on mobile or PC games.
As the domestic game development industry records significant growth year after year, there is a great need for new employees, and the profile of the producer is one of those that is regularly found on the job advertisements of domestic companies (which you can follow on the “SGA Jobs” page). Therefore, it is the desire of the Creative Tech Serbia supercluster, which is led by SGA and whose goal, among other things, is the cross-sectoral connection of the domestic gaming industry, to bring the specifics of this business closer to young, but also to those more experienced professionals who would like to try themselves in this domain.
The intensive three-day Game Production Academy program will be held in the period from November 28th to 30th (each day from 4 to 8 PM), and is intended for all those who are already working as producers, project managers or “product owners” in one of the fields creative industries or IT, and are interested in entering the field of video game production professionally. The program is also intended for those who already work in other positions in the gaming industry, but would like to reorient themselves in the direction of production and project management.
Participation in the academy is free, while the number of places is limited. We ask all those interested to apply via the online form no later than November 23. (IMPORTANT: All participants are obliged to attend all days and sessions of the program!).
Among the lecturers will be some of the most experienced producers from the domestic industry, and representatives of companies such as Ubisoft Belgrade, Playstudios Europe, Mad Head Games, Nordeus, TinyBuild and others.
During this academy, participants will:
- Receive insights into the basic characteristics of the gaming industry and professional engagement in it
- Learn about the key sectors, professions, positions and expertise used by professionals in the gaming industry
- Get to know production “pipelines” characteristic for core/PC and mobile gaming production
- Have the opportunity to compare production processes from other niche creative industries with those in game development
- Meet professionals who have successfully transitioned into the gaming industry from other complementary industries
- Have the opportunity to meet and network with industry professionals working in production and project management roles
- Learn about services that are not part of game development, but are also key to developing successful video games
This activity is launched by the Creative Tech Serbia supercluster, with the support of USAID Serbia and ICT Hub Belgrade (through the Serbia Innovates project). You can read more about the Creative Tech Serbia supercluster here.