We are developing Ember Sword, a groundbreaking social sandbox MMORPG game set in a community-driven PvE and PvP fantasy universe.
As a Senior Engine Developer on the Bright Star Studios Engine team, you’ll be part of the core group of ±10 developers that architect, design, and build our custom ECS-based C++ game engine and tooling, implement optimizations, and create general infrastructure for game developers. The engine is compiled with Emscripten to WebAssembly and runs directly in your browser. It currently loads in 5-10 seconds and we’re aiming for the game to be platform agnostic. Therefore we care greatly about the quality and performance of our code and don’t shy away from refactoring if needed.
Next to building the engine for Ember Sword, we’re also looking into commercializing the game engine in the near future!
As we’re a small team, we don’t have specific specializations (e.g. graphics, physics, networking) and this means you could work on anything. Building an engine from the ground up, particularly for an MMORPG, also requires a vast array of tools, which will be our primary focus for the rest of this year.
Our roadmap for 2023 includes:
- Development of a particle system and its associated tooling
- Procedural generation of the main world & RNG dungeon, complete with relevant tooling
- Creation of generic artist tools, such as a model viewer for artists and animation tools, as well as tools for level designers, including a scene editor and creature spawners.
Looking forward, we plan to increase resources in the following year, allowing us to explore more possibilities with (chunk) streaming and expand its feature set.
Who you are
- You have excellent C++ skills (e.g. a strong grasp of Standard Template Library (STL) and underlying data types)
- You come with many years of experience as a software engineer focused on game engines, 3D/Graphics/CGI engines, and/or tooling development
- You are a creative coder with a strong feel for gameplay and design
- You have experience working with vector maths
- You’re willing to work on a wide variety of tasks, ranging from low-level features to the editor, and from rendering to tooling. What’s in it for you
What’s in it for you
- We are a remote-first company but also have offices in the Netherlands (Breda), Denmark (Copenhagen), and Serbia (Novi Sad) where you could work from.
- If you’re not based in any of our office locations and as long as you are based within the CET timezone +2/-2 hours, we can offer a UK/EU-based role (either as a contractor or as an employee through Deel). You will then occasionally travel to Copenhagen to meet with your colleagues.
- Flexible working is available to all colleagues so you will not be required in the office everyday!
- You’ll get 25 days annual leave + 1 free day off for your birthday + bank holidays of your employment location
- Recharge time: we give everyone the option to take extra paid time off to recharge after intense periods of time.
Who we are
Bright Star Studios, is a global independent games development studio led by a team of award-winning venture founders, former world champion pro-players, and entertainment professionals who come with decades of game industry experience. We are aiming to carve a new path forward for MMORPGs across PC, browser, and mobile platforms. The studio’s mission is to rewrite the games industry with a business model that favours the community through exciting competitive gameplay, instant playability, and a leading platform that supports the player economy.
We are an equal opportunity employer that hires people who are genuinely passionate about changing the games industry for the better. Always on the lookout for exceptional talent and potential, we care about good team effort, open and friendly communication, and speaking up without reserves.